Christmas Trends 2017
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 by Bill Cowley
Each season, we work hard to monitor the latest Christmas decorating trends. The trends for 2017 can be summarized in three words: Simple, Natural, and Elegant.
Here are some of our decorating suggestions for 2017:
- Simplicity. Multiple blow-up decorations planted on your front lawn may be whimsical gaudy fun, but it's not this year's trend. Subtlety is where it's at. When decorating done right, less is more. But it's all about finding that sweet spot. If you are too minimalistic, it may look like you just didn't have time to decorate or were being a bit too frugal in your decorating budget.
- The "Gingerbread House Effect." Homeowners are going for the gingerbread house effect by using small and large white lights to simulate icing. When done correctly, this simple decoration accentuates the best features of a home and has a simple soothing look. However, because of the simplicity of the design, small mistakes look very noticeable and amateurish. If you don't have the time or the eye to ensure that the lights are hung perfectly, this should be done by professional decorators.
- Natural décor. Outside, the use of wreaths made with greenery from boxwoods and blue spruces are on-trend. Placing a miniature Christmas tree on the front steps or porch looks classy. Unlike the larger one inside, this "junior" tree only needs to be decorated with small white lights.
- "Living runners." Popular indoors, a decorator can create a living runner by piecing together greenery (like boxwood and pine) and embellishing it with objects found in nature like pinecones and even fruit. Some of the prettiest living runners are made with oranges, lemons, and pineapples. To bring your living runner to the next level, add votive candles (small prayer candles). If you have concerns about lighting candles in your home, there are battery-powered votive candles that look as good as the real ones. Runners are often found on the mantle, but they can also be placed on a dining room table.
- Elegance. Today's elegance does not mean heavy and ornate materials. Rather, today's elegance is light and airy with just a touch of sparkle. Using translucent ribbons on wreaths, trees, and packages helps make natural elements look more modern. With table clothes, a small metallic shimmer is the look. Bringing a bit of sparkle into your design will help merge the natural and the simple elements of your design, creating a current, festive, and holiday-ready look for everyone to enjoy.
- Even if you want to stay on trend in your Christmas decorating, don't go to the extreme of making your decorations generic and impersonal. Always put a touch of yourself and your family traditions into your design. If your family has always put out the ceramic tree that your great aunt painted, don't relegate it to the attic for the sake of design. The most important part of holiday decorating is what's timeless about every Christmas season: making your home a place of warm welcoming for family and friends.
The elves at Christmas Décor are already getting all excited and tingly about the upcoming holiday season. We'd love to assist you with your holiday décor and help make your home extra special this year. Our prime slots are already filling up, so please consider booking with us soon.